Monday, January 11, 2010

Making the G4

I'm totally into MYOG at the moment. Don't really know why. I guess it's the fun of learning something new and getting useful stuff out of it. So far I've made a Ray-Way pack and a thru-hiker.com Minima vest. At the moment I'm constructing the GVP G4 backpack, using the kit from questoutfitters.com. The G4 is an old school UL pack from the late 90s. It's got lots of volume and the trademark Gossamer Gear stuffable shoulder straps and waist belt, as well as pad holders to use ones sleeping pad as back support.
















The construction is very straightforward and I've been enjoying the work a lot. If you ever want to sew your own backpack then this is a great project. The Ray-Way was definitely harder and more time consuming. I'm not really sure if I like it either. I think I prefer some kind of built in frame, like for instance in the Golite Jam / Pinnacle.













































I'll post some more pictures when it's done.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the finished result - though I don't mind WIP photos and your thoughts on the process! Happy blogging =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the mad, mad world of lightweight backpacking blogging! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :), I hope I am ready for it ;)

    ReplyDelete